QQ登录

只需一步,快速开始

查看: 925|回复: 2

Verbs-- interesting or boring?

[复制链接]
发表于 2012-8-30 21:47:09 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式

马上注册,结交更多好友,享用更多功能,让你轻松玩转质量管理社区。

您需要 登录 才可以下载或查看,没有账号?立即注册

we all know that ping pong is a very popular sport in China. Possibly many of you are good ping pong players.  One question for you: what do you think the most important stroke in ping pong is?  Backhand,chop, loop, serve, etc?
The answer is none of the above.  I believe the most important stroke is forehand.

In real games, perhaps most of the volleys between the two opponents are played by forehand.  If you are taking ping pong lessons from a good coach, he/she will spend most of the time in teaching you how to do forehand correctly.
In piano playing, go game, painting, tennis, etc., you name it, there is usually something fundamental that, if one masters it, one is likely an expert.

Well, English writing is of no exception.  One element in it is very fundamental.  And if a writer is able to master this fundamental, he is 60% on his way home.  In my opinion, this fundamental is to master the grammar and the know the verb-noun pairs.  

You can grab a grammar book and learn it through the book, in the mean time we will gradually review these verb-noun pairs day by day.  The task can be a bit boring.  But we must be patient, because fundamentals are usually quite boring.  My niece majors in piano playing.  She told me that she has to practice scale, chords, and arpeggio a couple of hours every day.
Here let us study the first pair:
<  Edgar Burroughs produced a folk hero for the world – Tarzan of the Apes. >
which is an acceptable sentence, but not too great.  Now, try:
< Edgar Burroughs conceived a folk hero for the world – Tarzan of the Apes. >
which surely sounds better.  So, let me suggest that you prepare yourself
a folder with loose sheets of papers in it.  Designate one page with the
alphabet C.  Write down the first pair:
  conceive -- an idea, plan, project, etc.
Designate another page with the alphabet A.  Consider the 2nd pair:
< Jane’s arrogant speech caused lots of protests from the audience. >
which sounds OK, but we can do better than that:
< Jane’s arrogant speech aroused a storm of protests from the audience. >

Let us now jot down the 2nd pair
  arouse – protests, resentment, interest, anger, excitement, etc.
Now the sentences become more powerful. What do you think of learning English, boring or interesting?

发表于 2012-9-1 19:04:37 | 显示全部楼层
In your opinion, the fundamental of learning english is to master the grammar and the know the verb-noun pairs.  oh, i agree it.

发表于 2012-9-1 19:06:23 | 显示全部楼层
I'm eager to make friend with you, would you like to add my QQ 906270628?
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

本版积分规则

手机版|小黑屋|QPDCA平台自律公约|QPDCA质量论坛 ( 苏ICP备18014265号-1 )

QPDCA质量论坛最好的质量管理论坛 GMT+8, 2024-5-19 02:57 , Processed in 0.146247 second(s), 17 queries , Gzip On.

无锡惠山区清华创新大厦901室0510-66880106

江苏佳成明威管理咨询有限公司 版权所有

快速回复 返回顶部 返回列表